Thursday, February 3, 2011

Forest Cottage Series Part 2

 

 Indoor Planters

For the next installment of this interior design series, I would like to share some ideas for indoor plants! I keep four in my room and they have a wonderful effect of lifting my spirits whenever I see them. (Must be the oxygen). I still hope to plant a real garden, but it's far too cold for that now! These indoor planters are great because they can be created at any time of the year. The fuzzy green moss growing with them is also pretty cute. (The brown things are my acorn-top mushrooms).The plants actually sit on my windowsill but I moved them for a better view.




All of these planters were created with mason jars, rocks, soil and succulent plants from my backyard (which are great because they don't need much watering).

Creating these mini-planters are pretty straight-forward, but here are a few tips to keep in mind:

  • Choose your plants wisely, consider their projected size and watering requirements
  • Good plants to use include different varieties of succulents (like cactus), ferns, moss, mushrooms or hardy herbs like rosemary 
  • Mason jars of different varieties look nice together, also try experimenting with wicker and wooden fruit containers 
  • If you have a little more space, try botanical bell jars, fish bowls and terrariums or hanging plants
  • To improve drainage, add a few pebbles to the bottom of the jar before adding the soil
  • Add a few rocks around the stem of your plant for support
  • Choose a spot with lots of sun that you see often (so you won't forget about them!)
Here's a bit of inspiration to get your green thumb itching: 





2 comments: